The Mists of Paoru
While Kazzi’s dreams gave birth to the Huli and Shaza’s meditation gave birth to the Houzi, the Shuwa came forth from the darkling hungers of Dempo as he came upon Shaze and Kazzi in their states. His envy and rage and jealousy all boiled to the surface, tempered by his need for companionship and the Shuwa were born.
They call him Ol’ Lelaki or sometimes just the Twisted Stick but they all revere, worship and fear Dempo. Their lives are led by the belief that when they die, they will join Lelaki in the shadowy swamps of Shan Dala.
Shuwa Starting Stats
- Adulthood: 12 (Intuitive +1d4 yrs, Self-Taught +1d6 yrs, Trained +2d6 yrs)
- Male Height & Weight: 1 ft 7 + 2d4 in, 25 + 2d4 lbs
- Female Height & Weight: 1 ft 5 + 2d4 in, 20 + 2d4 lbs
- Aging Effects: Middle Age – 20yrs, Old 30yrs, Venerable 40yrs
- Max Lifespan: 40 + 1d20 years
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Shuwa are nimble and alert, but spindly. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and –2 Strength.
- Size: Small (4 to stealth checks)
- Type: Shuwa are humanoids with the Shuwa subtype
- Base Speed: Shuwa have a base speed of 30 feet and a climb speed of 20 feet.
- Languages: Shuwa begin play speaking Shuwa and a local language, usually Huli and/or Houzi.
Feat & Skill Racial Traits
- Camouflage: Shuwa receive a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks in marshes and forested areas.
Movement Racial Traits
- Swamp Stride: A Shuwa can move through difficult terrain at its normal speed while within a swamp. Magically altered terrain affects a shuwa normally.
Offence Racial Trait
- Weapon Familiarity: Shuwa are proficient with nets
Senses Racial Traits
- Darkvision: Shuwa can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.
Weakness Racial Trait
- Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds them for 1 round; on subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above.
- Glider: Shuwa’s aerodynamic bodies and thick webbing between the toes enable a falling shuwa to treat the distance fallen as half the actual distance. The shuwa can steer himself while falling, moving horizontally up to a number of feet equal to half the vertical distance fallen. The shuwa cannot use this trait if it is wearing heavy armor, is carrying a heavy load, or is unable to react to the fall (such as being helpless). This racial trait replaces swamp stride.
- Jumper: Shuwa with this trait are always considered to have a running start when making Acrobatics checks to jump. This racial trait replaces camouflage.
- Toxic Skin: Once per day as a swift action, a shuwa can create a poison that can be applied to a weapon or delivered as a touch attack. Alternatively, the shuwa can smear the poison on its own body as a standard action, affecting the first creature to hit it with an unarmed strike or natural weapon. The poison loses its potency after 1 hour. The shuwa is immune to its own poison. This racial trait replaces swamp stride and camouflage. Shuwa Poison: Skin or weapon—contact or injury; save Fort DC 10 + 1/2 the grippli’s Hit Dice plus its Constitution modifier; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Dexterity damage; cure 2 consecutive saves.
- Agile Tongue: You have a prehensile tongue with a range of 10 feet. You can pick up items weighing no more than 5 pounds, make Sleight of Hand checks, perform the steal or disarm combat maneuvers, or make melee touch attacks with your tongue.
The Shuwa due to their habitat in the wylds have access only to certain classes.
- Elementalist Wizard
Favoured Class Options
- Rogue: Add a +1/2 bonus on Perception checks while in a forest or swamp.
- Ranger: Add a +1 racial bonus on Swim skill checks. When this bonus reaches +8, the ranger gains a swim speed of 15 feet (this does not grant the ranger another +8 racial bonus on Swim checks).