The Mists of Paoru
Morality and the Spirit World
This particular game will not be focusing on the alignment of your character but instead will be focusing on what kind of person your character was raised to be and subsequent consequences for actions later in life.
The Spirit Energy Scale
Every action your character takes has consequences. Whether those consequences are good or bad depends on your actions. Your character does not exist in a vacuum but is part of a larger society and world. Most of the time, your actions will be small only affecting your closest circle of people.
Want to steal the bag of money from the rich guy in the market place? Maybe its the nicest set of clothes he owns and he’s wearing it to get a job. Maybe it’s all the money he has in the world and without it, he can’t pay his rent or eat. Maybe he’s a rich snob with far too much money on his hands and not enough brains to use it. Every action will have consequences and you won’t always be able to see those consequences play out, but the Hall of a Thousand Doors does.
Everything you do in life is recorded in the Hall and counts for or against you in life and death.
The Spirit Energy Scale is how that is monitored. The scale begins at Tianshi, the highest form of spiritual energy that encompasses all the others and descends through the five elements to Oni, the absence of energy itself.
Some see this as a descending or ascending scale, but it’s more apt to be described as a wheel with the entire wheel defined as Tianshi and the five elements making up the spokes of the wheel. At the center is Oni, empty.
As you lose elements in the wheel, your spirit becomes less heavenly and more earthly and base. You become to succumb to your more base desires and care less about the connections you’ve made in this life.
Should you lose all the elements, you can become a living Oni. A demon made flesh, where your spirit is imprisoned in it’s own hell inside your body.
As you gain elements, you become more heavenly, able to overcome your desires and seek enlightenment.
Loss or Gain on the Scale
Any action that can be defined as selfish takes away points on the scale. Conversely, any action that can be defined as selfless gains points on the scale.
Here’s how selfless and selfish is determined:
- Does your action benefit you more than anyone else? Selfish.
- Does your action benefit others at your own expense? Sefless.
- Does your action alter or change another’s existence in a positive way? Selfless
- Does your action alter or change another’s existence in a negative way? Selfish
- The following are examples of Selfish actions: stealing for pure material gain, murder, enslavement, your actions causing the death of an innocent..
- The following are examples of Selfless actions: helping or healing others expecting no compensation, sacrificing your self for another…
How Magic Affects the Scale
The school of necromancy draws upon the negative energy of Oni to empower it. Every time a spell from this school is cast, the caster receives a loss on the scale equal to the spell level.
The school of divination draws upon the positive energy of Tianshi to empower it. Every time a spell from this school is cast, the caster receives a gain on the scale equal to a quarter of the spell level.
This does not apply to cantrips or orisons. With the exception of using a necromantic or divinatory cantrip in excess of the caster’s unmodified will rating.
- If you are capable of reaching enlightenment, you have attained a status of heavenly creature in a mortal shell. You will no longer age, no longer require sustenance or sleep and are impervious to most worldly magics. This is a difficult state to reach.
- Wood, Fire, Stone, Metal, Water
- Five elements: your healing DC as a zhurdana is lowered by 4 and you are able to heal all the damage you take when reflexively healing. You gain a +4 to Will Saves and can not be Exhausted. Chance for being healed by zhurdana 100%.
- Four elements: your healing DC is lowered by 2 and you are able to heal 75% of the damage you take when reflexively healing. You gain a +2 to Will Saves. Chance for being healed by zhurdana 80%.
- Three elements: this is the median and you receive no penalties or bonuses. chance for being healed by zhurdana 40%.
- Two elements: your healing DC is raised by 2 and you are only able to heal 25% of the damage you take when reflexively healing. You receive a -2 penalty to Will Saves. Chance for being healed by zhurdana 20%.
- One element: your healing DC is raised by 4 and you are unable to heal none of the damage you take when reflexively healing. You receive a -4 penalty to Will Saves. Chance for being healed by zhurdana 10%.
- Oni: You are unable to use your zhurdana gift to heal others and you take a -10 penalty to will saves. Every day you exist in this range of the scale, you must make a will save with an increasing -5 penalty to not become a living Oni.
- Penalties and Bonuses apply when performing the Healing Meditation.