The Mists of Paoru
A race of small, vulpine humanoids who make their home in the Rosewylds. Their origins are a mystery even to themselves. According to their stories, Kazzi came to the Wylds and was creating animals and plants and naming them. After some time, she grew tired and lay down to sleep. Her dreams were whimsical and entertaining and took on a life of their own creating the Huli.
Kazzi is the Green Mother in their yapping, growling tongue and they hold her higher than any other divinity. The primary belief being that a life filled with fun, pranks and adventure is the ideal life and one without a living hell.
- the Huli make their home in the arboreal forests of the Rosewylds and have existed there for a time, keeping themselves separate from the other main races in the world. Their homes are complex burrows with windows and doors built to be hidden among the mossy ground of the forest, with tunnels connecting them to their neighbours. Entire settlements can be hidden among the loamy forest floor with none the wiser.
**From the black “socks” on its cheerfully bouncing legs to its large, perked ears and the whiskers at the end of its muzzle, this creature looks like nothing so much as a small, humanoid fox.
**The Huli are closer to nearby Stone Yokai than any other and the two share a deep abiding respect of one another
Huli Starting Stats
- Adulthood: 12 (Intuitive +1d4 yrs, Self-Taught +1d6 yrs, Trained +2d6 yrs)
- Male Height & Weight: 1 ft 7 + 2d4 in, 25 + 2d4 lbs
- Female Height & Weight: 1 ft 5 + 2d4 in, 20 + 2d4 lbs
- Aging Effects: Middle Age – 20yrs, Old 30yrs, Venerable 40yrs
- Max Lifespan: 40 + 1d20 years
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: They are quick and companionable but tend to be weak. +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str
- Size: Small (4 to stealth checks)
- Type: Huli are humanoids with the Huli subtype
- Base Speed: Huli have a base speed of 30ft and a Burrow speed of 20ft
- Languages: Huli begin play speaking Huli and a local language, usually Houzi and/or Shuwa
Feat & Skill Racial Traits
- Beguiling Liar: gain a +4 racial bonus on Bluff checks to convince an opponent that what they are saying is true when they tell a lie
- Fast Movement: Huli gain a +10 foot bonus to their base speed.
Magical Racial Trait
- Huli Magic – Huli with a Cha score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like ability: dancing lights 3/day (the light is only bright enough to make it dim and is a faint green colour)
Offence Racial Traits
- Natural Weapons: Huli have a bite attack that inflicts 1d4 points of damage
Senses Racial Traits
- Low Light Vision: can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.
- Scent: Huli have a very keen sense of smell and receive the scent ability
Weakness Racial Trait
- Light Sensitivity: Huli are dazzled as long as they remain in an area of bright light.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above.
- Weather Savvy: Because of their attunement with nature, they can spend a full round action to predict the weather in an area for the next 24 hours. This prediction is always accurate but can’t account for spells or supernatural effects that might alter the forecast. This trait replaces Quick Reaction.
The Huli due to their habitat in the wylds have access to only certain classes, particularly the magical classes.
- Elementalist Wizard
Favoured Class Options
- Bard: Add a +1/2 bonus on Bluff checks to lie and a +1/2 bonus on Diplomacy checks to gather information.
- Druid: Add a +1/2 bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks to change a creature’s attitude.
- Ranger: Add +1 skill rank to the ranger’s animal companion.
- Elemental Wizard: Select one elemental school power at 1st level that is normally usable a number of times per day equal to 3 + the wizard’s Intelligence modifier. The wizard adds +1/2 to the number of uses per day of that arcane school power.