The Mists of Paoru
When Kazzi came to the Wylds and began naming the plants and animals she had created, she grew tired after a while and lay down to rest. Out of her dreams came the Huli, all mischievous and smiling.
While Kazzi was resting, Shaza came upon her slumbering form and sat contemplating her for a time. As he sat, his thoughts took form and the Houzi were born. Wise and philosophical and enigmatic much like their creator, the Houzi consider themselves to be more mature and evolved than their brethren the Huli and Shuwa.
Shaza is the called Great Uncle in the Houzi’s hooting tongue and is revered above all others. They love a life filled with quiet contemplation and enlightenment.
Houzi Starting Stats
- Adulthood: 12 (Intuitive +1d4 yrs, Self-Taught +1d6 yrs, Trained +2d6 yrs)
- Male Height & Weight: 1 ft 7 + 2d4 in, 25 + 2d4 lbs
- Female Height & Weight: 1 ft 5 + 2d4 in, 20 + 2d4 lbs
- Aging Effects: Middle Age – 20yrs, Old 30yrs, Venerable 40yrs
- Max Lifespan: 40 + 1d20 years
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Houzi are agile and insightful, but are also rather mischievous. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and –2 Charisma.
- Size: Small (4 to stealth checks)
- Type: Houzi are humanoids with the Houzi subtype
- Base Speed: Houzi have a base speed of 30 feet and a Climb speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Houzi begin play speaking Houzi and a local language, usually Huli and/or Shuwa
Feat & Skill Racial Traits
- Nimble: Houzi have a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks.
Senses Racial Traits
- Low Light Vision: can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.
Other Racial Traits
- Prehensile Tail: A Houzi has a long, flexible tail that she can use to carry objects. She cannot wield weapons with her tail, but the tail allows her to retrieve a small, stowed object carried on her person as a swift action.
Weakness Racial Trait
- Nyctophobia: It is thought to be from their origin, being children of Shaza that the Houzi’s fear of the dark comes from. When confronted with near dark conditions such as shadows or nearing twilight, the Houzi become shaken. If they continue to be around dark conditions such as night time then it is elevated to frightened.
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above.
- Whitecape: The rare whitecape Houzi clans have more in common with savanna-dwelling baboons than the jungle-dwelling monkeys that most Houzi resemble. Their stooping build grants them a +4 racial bonus to CMD when resisting a bull rush or trip. These Houzi usually have a thick mane of hair on the head and shoulders (called a “cape”) and shorter tails. This racial trait replaces prehensile tail.
The Houzi due to their habitat in the wylds have access only to certain classes.
Favoured Class Options
- Druid: Add a +1/2 bonus on wild empathy checks and a +1/2 bonus on Handle Animal skill checks.
- Monk: Add a +1 bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump.
- Ranger: Add +1/4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against the ranger’s favored enemies.
- Rogue: The rogue gains 1/6 of a new rogue talent.